Senior Systems Engineer
GRNET S.A. provides Internet connectivity, high-quality e-Infrastructures and advanced services to the Greek Educational, Academic and Research community, aiming at minimizing the digital divide and at ensuring equal participation of its members in the global Society of Knowledge. GRNET provides advanced services to the following sectors: Education, Research, Health, Culture.
We are currently looking for a passionate Systems Engineer to work on designing, implementing and providing advanced operational support for server, virtualization and computing/storage service solutions.
As a System Engineer you’ll have to develop automation for repetitive tasks, manage CI/CD pipelines for various application deployments, monitor hosts and services to identify performance issues, organize upgrades for hundreds of servers, improve security of infrastructure and applications, while participating in the design and deployment of new services.
You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. The team members are professionals, with a mindset to innovate, automate, streamline, and provide value to GRNET and to the users of the offered services.
Our people are the secret to our success. That’s why we are constantly growing our operations and engineering teams.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of system and infrastructure availability
- Implement changes such as deployments, migrations, maintenance or automation
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- University degree in Computer Science, Information technology or a Diploma in Computer Engineering
- At least 4 years working experience as a Linux Administrator, Systems Engineer or relevant position
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
- Proven working experience in the Linux operating system (Debian / Ubuntu / Red Hat/CentOS)
- Proven working experience in Virtualization infrastructures (VMware / Openstack / Ganeti / other)
- Solid experience in storage solutions such as (SAN or NAS Appliances / CEPH / Gluster / other)
- Solid experience in configuration management solutions such as (Puppet / Ansible)
- Experience in installation, configuration, management, optimization of relational open source databases, at least MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with graphing, telemetry, logging tools ( Collectd / Graphite / Grafana / Prometheus / ELK / Graylog / other)
- Experience in design, install and configuration of web stack (Apache / Nginx, Varnish / HAproxy, Memcache)
- Essential programming skills in Python or Bash
Desired Skills (any of which will be considered an asset):
- MSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information technology or similar
- Working experience with large scale systems (in terms of hundreds of servers, multiple datacenters)
- Solid experience in monitoring systems (Nagios / Icinga / Zabbix / other)
- Experience in CI/CD using Github, Docker and Jenkins
- Experience in installation, configuration, management of MongoDB including Backup-Restore.
- Experience in authorization/authentication protocols (OAuth 2.0 / OpenID Connect / SAML)
- Experience in Linux networking: Firewalling, VPN (IPv4/IPv6), sysctl tuning
- Package management in Ubuntu, Debian or Red Hat Linux
- Good understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with IPv6
- Creativity, innovation spirit and team player
- Dynamic personality, ability to accept challenges and undertake responsibilities
- Enthusiasm, persistence and willingness to deliver results on time
- Professionalism, commitment, persistence
- Strong attention to detail and ability to stay focused and deliver under stress or tight deadlines
- An exciting, dynamic and fast paced working environment that encourages team spirit, cooperation and continuous learning of state-of-the-art technology.
- A competitive remuneration package and benefits, international collaborations and an environment that fosters innovation.
- Ability to shape the future of large scale GRNET services
- Training and participation in technical conferences
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.