GRNET S.A. provides Internet connectivity, high-quality e-Infrastructures and advanced services to the Greek Educational, Academic and Research community, aiming at minimizing the digital divide and at ensuring equal participation of its members in the global Society of Knowledge. GRNET provides advanced services to the following sectors: Education, Research, Health, Culture.
We are currently looking for a passionate System Engineer to work on designing, implementing and providing advanced operational support for server, virtualization and computing/storage service solutions.
As a System Engineer you’ll have to develop automation for repetitive tasks, manage CI/CD pipelines for various application deployments, monitor hosts and services to identify performance issues, organize upgrades for hundreds of servers, improve security of infrastructure and applications, while participating in the design and deployment of new services.
You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. The team members are professionals, with a mindset to innovate, automate, streamline, and provide value to GRNET and to the users of the offered services.
Our people are the secret to our success. That’s why we are constantly growing our operations and engineering teams.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Implementation of changes such as deployments, migrations, maintenance or automation
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- Proven working experience in the Linux operating system (either of Debian, Ubuntu and/or Red Hat/CentOS distributions)
- Experience in configuration Management such as Puppet/Chef/Salt or Ansible,
- Solid experience in installation, configuration, management, optimization of relational open source databases, at least MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with graphing/metrics/logging tools such as Collectd/ Graphite/ Grafana/ InfluxDB/Prometheus or ELK,
- Experience in Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD) using github, Docker and Jenkins
- Experience in supporting LAMP stack with proxying/load balancing based on Apache, Nginx, Varnish, HAproxy
- Essential programming skills in Python or Bash
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
Desired Skills (any of which will be considered an asset):
- Solid experience in monitoring systems such as Nagios/Icinga/Zabbix or Sensu
- Experience in Linux Virtualization technologies such as KVM or Xen
- Solid experience in installation, configuration, management of MongoDB including Backup-Restore.
- Solid experience in installation, configuration, management, optimization of Apache Flink Framework
- Experience in OpenStack
- Package management in Debian or Red Hat Linux
- Experience in authorisation/authentication protocols such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, and SAML
- Good understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience in Linux networking: firewalling, VPN setups with multiple interfaces (IPv4/IPv6), sysctl tuning
- Familiarity with IPv6
- Creativity, innovation spirit and team player
- Dynamic personality, ability to accept challenges and undertake responsibilities
- Enthusiasm, persistence and willingness to deliver results on time
An exciting, dynamic and fast paced working environment that encourages team spirit, cooperation and continuous learning of state-of-the-art technology.
A competitive remuneration package and benefits, international collaborations and an environment that fosters innovation.
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.